Here is the 9th annual Christmas Quiz. 20 questions, and the closing date for entries is midday on Thursday 24th December.
Please email your answers to us at firstname.lastname@example.org. The winner will get glory, and can choose a charity from our approved list to which we will donate £100. She or he will also get a copy of Morrissey’s atrociously reviewed novel, and “Bad Sex” award winner, “List of the Lost”. Four runners up will also get a copy of the novel, which is worth owning for the cover image alone.
Good luck! Conditions of entry are down below somewhere.
- What do you call the non-existent roads and alleyways that publishers put on their maps to help them catch copyright infringers?
- It’s been in production for about 35 years, and for the company that makes it, Hewlett Packard, it is its best-ever-selling product. What is it?
- Which bike manufacturer is named after a religious landmark visible from the bedroom workshop of the company’s founder?
- From February next year there is a new “longest scheduled flight” being launched, replacing Sydney to Dallas for the record. From where to where?
- CARRY OVER RANK GNOME (anag).
- What was the Fed funds rate when Marty McFly started time-travelling in Back to the Future?
- Which sport is being shown on this Swiss coin?
- The name of this old TV music show comes from the process by which recording impresarios would play an early pressing of a new tune to doormen on the street outside their offices. If the doormen showed their appreciation in a certain way, the record would be released. Which TV show?
- Time for some good old-fashioned bond maths! A corporate bond with a 3% annual coupon is trading at a yield to maturity of 2%. You have just received a coupon payment and the bond has now exactly 2 years to maturity. What is the bond’s approximate cash price? 101, 102 or 103?
- Which music video? An American police car visits ancient English mystical sites, pursued by rubbish Daleks.
- Which music video? Two men slap each other around the head in turn. Then some acrobatic dancers in stripy, plump costumes jump up and down. Someone in a turtle costume does sign language.
- Which music video? Filmed in “Junglescope” a plane crash survivor initially flees wild animals before taming them like a kind of Tarzan, and takes selfies with a monkey.
- Only 57 of these are known to exist. What is it?
- This is both the name of a Swizzel’s sweet, and describes what was originally thought to have happened to the UK economy in early 2012, but didn’t. What
- Who is Santa this year?
- This year a country-rock singer released a best-selling album (getting to number 7 in the Billboard charts) that was a track-by-track cover of an album which had been in the US charts for 48 weeks, and was still at number 8 in the charts at the time. Which album?
- Which film is this from?
- A satellite dish and a TV aerial decided to get married. The wedding wasn’t much, but…?
- Originating in New York, and named for a Manhattan sports venue, this event was designed as a way of circumventing rules aimed at preventing exhaustion in an endurance race that lasted for days. Which event?
- What is this simplified schematic?
The closing date is Thursday 24th December at midday UK time. Terms and conditions can be found here.